Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Welcome to Historic Kansas

I'm a writer. I was born and raised in NE Kansas, and I spent most of my life longing to leave. It took one persistent character to show me the way, and now there is no looking back. This blog will be dedicated to the research I find along the way. My hope is to not only provide you with well known facts but also with cool stories like what Grandma told. And, yes I might even write a tale or two from my own grandma.


Although much of Kansas had become part of the United States with the signing of the Louisiana Purchase, it wasn't until May 30, 1854 that the Kansas-Nebraska Act was signed. And it wasn't until January 29, 1861 that Kansas was admitted into the Union as a free state. During the years preceding admittance into the Union, Kansas was a volatile territory. And although many settlers feared the unknown I'm sure none expected the violence especially from their very own neighbors, and I'm not talking about the local natives. 



Welcome to Kansas!

1 comment:

Alice Audrey said...

Tell me more. Which violence are you thinking of? I had no idea it took so long for Kansas to enter the union.