Thursday, March 4, 2010

Historical Fiction

I'm a writer. That's all there is to it. One of the reasons I started this blog was to have a place for all my Kansas related research. Then I got this grand idea to write my posts in a linear fashion. At least up to a point. I knew eventually I'd have to trail off that grand idea.

We're a homeschooling family. One of the perks of homeschooling is that we can take some extra time to study a topic further. My son has been working through the Civil War. He's read Uncle Tom's Cabin and Across Five Aprils. Since we live in Kansas, I wanted to focus on some of our own Civil War history. So we picked up Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith.

Rifle for Watie is a winner of the Newbery Medal. I'm not going to review it at the moment. The writing, to me, isn't the best, but it keeps the kids' attention. And we've gotten so much fascinating historical information. It's wonderful.

No comments: